Friday, September 17, 2010

Painting Fabric

I spent several days this week painting fabric.  I love yellow, so I used that as the base color.  The fabric was white when I started.  The first piece was painted with yellow paint.  I wet the fabric really well, so the color would move through all of the fabric.  It came out a beautiful butter yellow.  Then I took the same yellow paint, unthinned, some orange paint, and Shiva paint sticks.  I used a piece of metallic ribbon with holes and painted more yellow.  I used a stencil brush and just went in circles over the ribbon.  I bounced a sponge up and down in orange for spots.  Then I took an old quilt stencil and my Paint stick.  I used a stencil brush again and created the flowers.  I think it turned out pretty good.


This other piece had the same yellow base coat.  Then I used washable blue gel glue to make swirls.  I let it dry all night.  Then went back with the same yellow and orange, mixed with water, and applied the paint over the whole thing.  I let it dry.  Heat set the color and threw it into the washing machine to get the glue out.  It turned out pretty good.  I have never used Glue Resist before and just wanted to try it.  Now I just need to decide what to use it for!



I really enjoy painting fabric.  It reminds me of kindergarten!  Don't forget about the Friday Night Sew In tonight.
Happy Quilting
Caren

No comments: