Monday, August 6, 2012

OK so it's not a quilt....

B u t it is fabric!  I love origami and years ago I made a quilt from the book "Quiltagami"  it's one of my favorite quilts.  The link is for a cover of the book, in case you've never heard of it.

Anyway, last night I couldn't sleep....again, and started thinking about making a crane with fabric.  There are some directions in "Quiltagami" but I didn't want to attach it to anything.

This afternoon I starched a piece of 12 in fabric, until it could almost stand on it's own.



Here are directions to make a paper crane.  There's a video to watch too.  That makes it easier.

Anyway here are a few pictures of my first (but not last) attempt.

Almost finished....
He's a little droopy.  I think the wings need interfacing or maybe a fabric like Batik might work better.
Here he is with a paper version.
If you want to give it a try:
1.  use lots of starch or the lavender spray, I used lavender
2. use a very hot iron to iron every crease.  A little starch is needed for thicker creases.
3. the edges were left raw, next time I might add steam a seam, paint, or fray check.

OK I'm a little late.  I just googled fabric origami cranes- they are all over the place!  I need to use interfacing.  Here's a great link I found: Magpie Shinies.  I will return with a better crane than my first one!


This is definitely a work in progress.

Happy Quilting
Caren

No comments: