Friday, August 27, 2010

It's Finished!

The baby quilt is finally finished.  It's an absolute miracle, too.  Have you every had one of those projects that had one problem after another?  That's what this quilt was.  The pattern was easy.  Originally, I was going to follow the QM pattern for Lotsa Pops.  The background fabric I chose, periwinkle, didn't go with anything.  According to the pattern a plain square was to be placed between each Popsicle.  I didn't have enough of the periwinkle, and evey other color I tried just looked wrong.  I go back to look at the pattern online.  I find the other Linus quilt patterns.  OK, I'll use on of these as a setting block.  Using the periwinkle as the predominate color.  That worked.  Problem solved.

New Problem.  The mother of the baby doesn't like pink.  Of course pink was the best color for the border.  So I off set it with purple.  Colors look really good.  I didn't have enough of one fabric for the backing so I just pieced it.  I've always wanted to try that, no problem!  
       
I decide to machine quilt it.  Even though I don't have a lot of experience with that.  My sewing machine had other ideas.  The
tension was wrong and I could not fix it.  I had little loops every 6 inches or so down the quilting line.  Sooooo, I ripped it all out
and hand quilted it.  I prefer hand quilting anyway.

While trying to bury a knot the needle breaks inside the quilt.
Ugh!  I cut a hole trying to find the needle.  Can't find it.  I get my husband to get his borrowed metal detector...still no needle.  We eventually find the needle tip and pull it out.  Now I'm left with a
2 inch gash in the back.

I remember my grandmother telling me that all quilts should have red.  So I made a red heart applique to cover the hole.

Lastly, all that was left was the label and binding.  I used a quilt label transfer to make the label and sewed it on.  I hate doing the binding.  But by a miracle the binding was no trouble.   Currently the quilt is in the dryer getting all nice and cuddly.  I have never been so happy to finish a quilt!

I'm very happy with how it turned out.  It was a true odyssey getting it completed!  Any similar stories out there?

Happy Quilting!


No comments: